Friday, July 29, 2011

So, what do you shoot?

How often do you get asked this question when you explain that you are into photography?  It's probably the same for other creative arts as well, but it always puzzles me as to why I need to decide?  and what should I say? and who cares anyway?

I figure this question is a little bit like asking me what do I eat?  I eat what's there.  I eat what's in season.  I eat what I feel like.  So, what am I eating right now?  Oranges and lots of them.  Why oranges?  Because if I wait a couple of months they will be around but they will have been in cold storage or have been imported adding many food miles and losing lots of flavour.  I'm also eating apples for the same reason and watching the new season strawberries.

So, what's this got to do with what I shoot?

I've been thinking about my photography lately and it's impact on my life.  It's a very lovely world to escape into.  It doesn't have to involve other people but as I've written previously, it's so much more expansive when shared.  So, my tastes are a bit seasonal, they are influenced by the weather and the people I get a chance to hang out with and for this reason, my tastes and habits evolve and mould themselves around others.  Not so much in following the styles of those I get to shoot with, but it's more like making the most of every opportunity.  I have a few little projects of my own on the boil.  In actual fact I have many many tucked away!  They ebb and flow and are often richer for my absence so that when I return I bring a different perspective.  I have some pet themes, some styles I love to explore some techniques I work at on a regular basis and I have an enormous pile of books - getting bigger by the month!  And that bundle of books is sheer magic - ideas, inspiration, technique, critique, standards to aspire.

Just as important is the fabulous network of photographers that I get to hang with.  And in doing so, I am always open to possibilities of places and ideas to shoot.

So, what do I photograph?  Whatever is there!  This week it's been a relaxed portrait session, some table top displays and today, another early morning meander around the banks of the river at Yarramundi.  Looking at what I brought home it's interesting to understand what I saw.  Today, it was light and sparkle and patterns.

A few samples from a clear winter's morning.  Enjoy!!









How can you not fall in love with these neglected leaves and grasses covered in dew?













It was a dew drop sort of day and as I was intrigued by the light that I could see thru the viewfinder I knew I had to edit the image in such a way to show a little of the excitement I felt when I was there.














And here is another of the "ice creamery" type colours that were jumping out at me.  I have to fess up that they weren't quite this delicious, but Lightroom and Nik Color helped them along.












My long lens couldn't compete with the gear that a couple of other guys had - very serious lenses indeed - but I was able to catch a little of the action form afar.  I'm always intrigued by the black swans that are always so unexpected in these parts.
















Oh, and why on earth do I shoot slightly out of focus planes on clear blue sky days?  To better see the dust spots so that when I return to Canon in the next week or so I have a clear image (well, clear except for the spots!) to show where they are.  I have pretty much tidied them up here for public viewing?















This could have been painted.









































Another Monet











In days gone by I would have deleted this image.  However, I love it!  I love it with all its imperfections. Cut off oar, slightly blurry body, clearly caught on the hop with my focussing but it speaks of what I saw and what I felt.  These 2 canoeists were heading a little further upstream in search of some rare birds.  We'd seen the azure kingfisher a few minutes earlier and they were on the lookout as well.



















Reflections from overhanging trees (above and below).

































This little community of reeds and grasses is always stunning.  Each time I visit i wonder if it has survived.










































Morning light.




No comments:

Post a Comment