Thursday, April 28, 2011

Inspired by talk of heavy metal

Strange what suddenly refocuses your thinking????  Sometimes a word is all it takes.

A small group of us from our local photography club are committed to working on a personal project of passion this year.  Just a fancy way of saying that we are going to commit to do something special that gives us both joy and a bit of pain and that we agree that we will present it for viewing at the end of October.  These things are not new and the last couple of years we've called it a portfolio.   It's actually a great thing to do.  And having to commit with a group ensures that I "deliver" and not just have it as an ongoing thread that never finishes.

Where am I going with this????  Well, tonight we had our first round table discussion and while we were talking one of our group mentioned some old machinery and that led me to comment on a fabulous book I own Take Tour Photography to the Next Level.  It's written by George Barr and published by Rocky Nook.  Highly recommend it.  George Barr is easy to read and by way of illustration he has many images of machinery, hand tools, metal and ordinary things.  None of them are the pretty chocolate box image but every one of them is an interesting image.  I never tire of reading and rereading it.

So home I come and pick it up again and flip through it and I begin to reminisce about some of the old machinery and pieces of metal that have attracted my attention and I've often wanted to photograph.  And then I remembered!!!!  I have all these lovely images I took at Tarana a couple of weeks back that I haven't finished playing with.

So, here for your enjoyment  (and my satisfaction) are some more of my metal images from Tarana.  One of the things I love the most about knowing how to use a camera is the way it can make the ordinary seem extraordinary.  I look through the viewfinder in the right light, with the right sort of moisture in the air, some wispy movement in the surrounds and suddenly an ordinary shape becomes a star in its own right!  Magic, pure magic!

I warn you, I'm going to add too many - yes, I know I have recently learnt to be more discerning and leave people wanting to see more .... but not this time.  This is a celebration!

Enjoy ....

PS  I am back 2 days later and finishing the upload (I'd realised at around midnight that maybe I wasn't going to be able to sleep if I stayed in my photography zone, so I wisely turned it off) and today my books from Amazon have arrived and included is the next George Barr book as well as a couple from David du Chemin and a fabulous one from Bruce Barnbaum.  I have so many beautiful photography books that I will start a section on the blog.  I always love reading everyone else's reading list.













OK, I lied.  This one (above) is not part of the metal idea but it was in the same garden and I loved it.









































































No comments:

Post a Comment