Monday, April 25, 2011

Wet ANZAC Day in the city

In the last hour or so, I seem to have lost the beginning if this post.  I'll see if I can remember what I wrote ....  Just looove technology!


My photography group spent the morning in the city with Greg Dickens http://www.photosydney.com.au/ doing a bit of street photography and recording the happenings as we saw them around the start of the Anzac Day march.


I've come home, wet and weary and have spent a couple of hours downloading and sorting my images.  Not much from today that will be much use.  In fact, I've had to delete at least 70% of what I took.  Some of them were pretty shocking!  I thought I knew how to focus at least!!!  Obviously not. 


Never mind, the challenge continues ... Even when I return with a pretty meagre bag of images (like today) it's always a bit of fun to mull over the failures (or non successes?) and remember why I pressed the shutter in the first place and try to work out what I might have done better.


I've had a bit of a feet fetish with my photography of late.  I had some fun today looking at the colour and movement along the pavement as people made their way past.  I've included a couple here.


I captured a few shots of people that I quite liked however I don't feel completely comfortable posting online, so I've culled even further.  There was a pipe band with a couple of very young members who made great subjects.  I think I have one that is a little anonymous that I'll be able to pop in here.

This was my city of Sydney, 25 April, 2011 as I experienced it.  Wet, miserable, crowded, enjoyable, fun!!






These two fellows (above) explained that they were French  (from Noumea) and were quite chuffed to pose for their portrait.








The city was alive to the sounds of bagpipes.  The weather may have been horrid, but the music was fabulous.  If I remember correctly, this image was taken about the time I realised that I could perhaps pan and follow a subject for a few seconds.   Hello?? This is not a new idea but I'd obviously forgotten all about it.  Photography is never easy!









The excitable group (above) were waiting for their special person to appear in the march and a few moments after I took this image one of the woman ran at her  "special someone" and squealed for joy.  It was certainly a moment and although I was not tall enough to shoot that scene, when I looked at the couple of images I'd taken at this time, the emotion is certainly evident.  On reflection, I was pleased to have a story to match this image.








Quiet Dignity








The guy holding this cap up in the crowd for all to see made for a good shot.








These next couple of images are my tribute to the umbrellas on the day!





















Hats, hats, hats.... and a range of experience and emotions beneath.





































And here (below) the city pavements and the trees and buildings above,  added their own beauty.

















 I was fascinated by the array of matching and marching feet.
















































This small image below is my moment of abstraction for the day!  The movement that was captured almost gives a painterly effect.  I think the white bit that's hanging down is maybe attached to the uniform???













While we waited along King St and watched the start of the march, it was hard to ignore the enthusiasm shown by this young fellow for his task of keeping his group in step.  Check out the look on the guy on the LHS.








The navy groups quite often seemed to be led by a young female carrying the ship's name.










And in this image (below) we have the Little drummer Girl, keeping near perfect time.









From the same band ...




1 comment:

  1. Love yr photos from today.........show lots of emotion, love the ones on the ground level......Sue.

    ReplyDelete