Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Inspiration, Opportunity, Great Company, New Knowledge

Just returned form a few days camping in the Wollemi National Park at Dunne's Swamp.  Our photography group organised a guided weekend with Len Metcalf and had an amazing few days in a truly beautiful part of the world.


I'm trying to process a few images to upload and will do a full post in a few days time but here today I'm offering a handful of mono images.


On the drive home I detoured into Blackheath and found a second hand copy of Ansell Adams Trees.  Couldn't believe my eyes!  So, with this lovely book in mind, I was inspired to start with mono and trees.  Here are just a few.
















Along the Cudgegong River @ Rhylestone on Thursday (above).  Glorious light in the late afternoon on this stand of trees.












This stately old white gum was lit by the setting sun.  Again, along the Cudgegong River, Rhylestone.














Dunne's Swamp and surrounds are full of the most beautiful white gums.  No matter where you look, the sheer number, the curves, the light, the interplay are stunning.


















Len Metcalf has been a wonderful and very generous teacher and mentor for me over the past couple of years and I love his subtle composition and framing.  This image (above) was seen and captured with Len's images in the back of my mind.  I love it!  I'm hoping that it prints well.












Huge boulders amongst the pagodas, trees and logs and everywhere brilliant wattle.















This year the wattle is spectacular.  I can't remember seeing it this beautiful for a number of years.  The blossoms (above) play beautifully with the white trunks and forest floor.























These beauties (above) remind me a bit of the men drinking in the Rhylestone pub.  Strong, solid, earthy.

















Looking across the dam in the late afternoon sun.  This sapling stands tall.





















The critics will comment that the overhanging branches detract from the image and they may well do so.  However, the sight of these young trees growing above and among the boulders and rocky outcrops were beautiful.  "Pruning" this image will clean it up, but this is what I remember so i include it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment