Thursday, September 8, 2011

Let's celebrate a small country town

Stayed overnight quite unexpectedly last Thursday at Rhylstone in the central west of NSW.  I was with Robyn, one of my photo buddies, and we were a day ahead of our tent at Dunnes Swamp.  Undeterred and ready for an extra night out with our cameras we booked a hotel room at the Globe, headed out for some late afternoon light before dinner and found some of the most beautiful buildings.  I think our favourite at this time of the day was the old Goods Shed at the disused railway station.  I have always loved the goods sheds at country railway stations.  Maybe its because we lived across from one for years and dad had the parcel run.  They were only busy for certain times each day but every day you could see new boxes lined up straight off the train and ready to be delivered around town.  They had quaint old cardboard tickets and packing string.  I loved them and occasionally got to sticky beak inside if no one was looking.  I think they must have used the one design right around the state as they always look the same.  In recent years as my photography has got more prolific, I've been eyeing them off.

This particular beauty was all alone and it had some pretty rotted beams on the landing.  But beautiful colours in the late sun.  The big double doors on either side were designed with slanted timber panels, making good patterns now that the paint was wearing off.  A local builder pulled up and had a chat and told us he used it as a storage shed.  We loved it.

The Cudegong River was another spot we pottered around.  Obviously home to wombats and the locals said there were platypus too.  I only lasted a little while down on the bank as I was being eaten alive by some insect.  Did get a couple of lush looking slow water shots tho.

Dinner at the pub was fabulous!  Robyn and I wandered about after dark with our cameras taking silly shots really.  Couldn't be bothered with the tripods but we had fun and looking at a couple of them now on the computer screen the beauty of this little town shines through.

So, if anyone is contemplating a stopover in this part of the world, you could do worse than drive into Rhylstone.  The next day I spread my love around any shop I could find.  The Anglicare Op shop was great - bought lots of small bits and pieces and a beanie to die for!  Fresh eggs from the deli were rich and yellow, good coffee from the corner cafe, amazing bread at the baker and on the way home I also picked up some great meat at the butcher.

So, thank you Rhylstone and all the town folks for making us so welcome.

A few images I've pulled out and edited in Lightroom 3 and Nik software.  Enjoy!!










This image (above) is of the old doors on the goods shed.  Great textures and tones.














Another image of the good shed.  This one is a section of the old steps.














The Cudgegong River (above) in slow motion.







Now, these next few are from the street after dark.  Beautiful old buildings, wide open streets, very few cars around and a quiet country town feel.





































I think I actually like this side wall of the old building (above) the best of all.  It just has something about the textures and shapes that really intrigue me.  I'd love to return and take some more images.  Now, there's an idea!

















A close up (above) of the window and a bit of outside electrical conduit and perhaps a water pipe? (below) that made an appealing design.

























I've called this one (above)  "Rob in Rhylo".












And this little piece (above) is "Self Portrait with Dancing Woman"































No comments:

Post a Comment