Wednesday, September 21, 2011

When I teach I learn

We've just had the most marvellous weekend of photography here in the beautiful Blue Mountains.  As I wrote previously, we had a workshop last Saturday and then on Sunday we enjoyed a walk with some of the photographers along the Charles Darwin walk @ Wenty Falls.  Incidentally, only a few minutes to where to current bush fire is in Leura.  I think we have a nasty summer ahead of us in the mountains bushland.  It's had a lot of growth with the rain and now it's dry and crackly.  I live adjacent to bushland, and there is a deep layer of fallen leaves and mulch that will burn very quickly if a fire was to come along. Thankfully, the Crown Lands department have been working on the section immediately beside our house and have cleared away a few dead trees and quite a number of overhanging branches so we now have a bit more separation between house and bushland.  Fingers crossed for a safe summer in the Blue Mountains this year!

The title of this post came to mind after I have been doing a bit of teaching and offering support to friends and colleagues with a few basic photography practices.  Having retired about 18 months ago from a long career in education and management, I have begun to miss a little of the joys of teaching.  Although I hadn't had my own class for a good 20 years, working in schools ensures that you are teaching and learning every single day.  So it is quite natural to meander along my new life's path adding daily to my own learning and knowledge bank.

I'm not a professional photographer and never will be.  I have no intention of encroaching on a field where professionals have often done many years of study and full time practice.  However, the edges of this area of work are the aspects that interest me.  How do you manage your photography files, your prints, your archiving?  How do you ensure that the images you take today of your family and friends are available to your grandchildren in years to come?  How do you become a more competent photographer, able to use your camera's settings to ensure you capture the world no matter what the conditions?  How do you learn from art?

It's been a slow realisation of what I can do outside my earlier life in education.  My previous world was very regimented.  I loved it for its connection with people and for the way people worked together to make the world a much better place.  I don't want to return to the commitments, lack of flexibility and sheer hard work that was my life.  I now have the luxury of choosing a new path.  And I think it has finally found me.  Thank you to to all those other wonderful photographers who have encouraged and nurtured me as I dipped my toes into the beginnings of a new life.

So, what am I doing now?  Well, I'm trying to learn a bit about housework for a start!!!  Still a long way to go!

I'm also working with a a few photo buddies (Kay, Sue, Dot, Robyn) to improve my photography practice.  I'm still enrolled in Lens School.  I'm working with Len on a beginner's course and again, with Len, I'm writing an introduction to Lightroom.  I've been trialling components of the new Lightroom course with my mates and it's getting closer and closer to a launch.

"When I teach I learn" is a truism for me.  In all the work I have been doing on Lightroom, each time I take a new client or walk a group of people through the program, I dig deep into my own practice and each time I come up a little short.  It's about learning.  It's as much about my learning as my teaching.

This past week I have been privileged to work on some stunning images from a local photographer.  I've also supported a couple of people with setting up Lightroom on their own systems.  Busy, tight time frames but absolute joy at the challenge and the opportunity to view wonderful images from other photographers.

From both of these exercise, I emerged with deeper knowledge of my subject area and inspired to revisit some of my photography that will be better edited and presented with my new skills.  Teaching is truly the best way to learn.

Enjoy!!  I certainly am.






Eastern Turkey, 2010.  In a small village, this bridge underpass leads to a deserted old bathhouse.  New editing to soften and enhance the brickwork and peeling paint.











Evening light in Istanbul visiting the Blue Mosque with many others, we were enthralled by the beauty and significance.












In the shadows of Mt Ararat, Eastern Turkey, a local village has planted their field.  In the re edit here I have again tried to soften and bring out the colours and lines.














This tumble down building in a village in Eastern Turkey, has been someone's home in a a past life.  I loved it cropped and published as a mono but again, by softening the patina and bringing out some colours I think it is much more handsome.







The next 3 (below) were taken in the succulent garden @ the Botanic Gardens, Sydney a couple of weeks back with Len Metcalf's class.  Been there many times but this particular day the patterns and lines were my focus.  Oh, and I discovered a couple of baby penguins as well??























































The image (below) was shot in Tarana, just west of the mountains late afternoon.  Had never quite worked out how to display it and I've recently decided to not hold back on "oomph!"  It wasn't quite this bright in real life, however, it did have a strong visual punch to it at the time.  This image reminds me of the absolute beauty and tranquility along the riverbank that day.



























These cute little eucalypt leaves (above) were in Dunne's Swamp.  Again, I've been a bit creative with my colour treatment but the rich colours are there for the taking in the bush.  When the late afternoon light shines around and dribbles through the trees it makes beautiful imagery all around.















The Fish River @ Tarana (above)












Another view of the late afternoon light adding its magic to the Fish River.

No comments:

Post a Comment