Monday, June 18, 2012

I just looove bookbinding

Those who have been following here might remember that I enrolled in a bookbinding course at Enmore earlier this year with Rosemarie Jeffers-Palmer from Amazing Paper http://www.amazingpaper.com.au/


Rosemarie runs a beginners course on behalf of the Sydney Community College but she also has her own bookbinding business.

I loved it so much I came back for seconds.  My only regret is that I will be a way a bit later in the year so will have to wait until 2013 before I get my next dose of tuition.

In the meantime, as well as learning about bookbinding, bookrepairs and book design I have been experimenting with some of my own designs using my photographic images.

My very first fledgling prototypes are ready to take in to Rosemarie for this week's class and await her critique??  Compared to the beautiful work I see in her studio/workshop, mine are a pale comparison, however, they are so much better than my early attempts.  And I do love the "create" part of the process.  I also love that I think I can enjoy some of my images as covers on my handmade books for gifts for family and friends.  I might eventually sell some at our market stall.  Just need to get the technique perfected.

Here below are a couple of my first attempts.  My designs are using an almost square format.  I like it more than A5 and A6, although I have a couple in that sze in the making.   These "almost square" designs vary,  but are approximately 5.5sq".  (or roughly 14-14cms) square.

For these books I have used a Japanese stab binding, linen thread, beautiful Canson Montvale Aquarelle paper for covers and cartridge paper (about 100gsm) for text pages.  I'm attempting to use a "re use, source local, offcut) model.  Not perfect, but I'm certainly watching my footprint.


This first book features an image from a Turkish Bazaar.  (front and back)













This Black and White cover book (below) features one of my maple images from my tree at home.



No comments:

Post a Comment