Saturday, March 26, 2011

I make my best decisions ..... part 1

I'm up to my ears in tradies (well, just 3 actually) boxes, new storage and a check list for the garage sale next weekend.  The only sanctuary is my study and it's pretty choc a block (spelling??) with camera gear.  I think someone should make an online calculator that estimates the amount of space each gig of camera gear uses in the home!!!  If they did no one would start to buy it.

The plan is ..... finish the kitchen and back study (Frida's old room - more of that later) and then see what else needs a home before we get to the garage sale next weekend.  That will leave my study and photo work area (that happens to be the one in full view of every guest??) till Easter hols.

So why is this of interest??  First there's Frida.  Frida is our very dear Swedish exchange student who lived with us for 10 months in the late the 90s and she and her new husband Micke are about to become new parents.  The back study is Frida's old room and in an act of sympathy I allowed her to paint the room any colour she liked - it was an instant cure for home sickness!  So, we now have a spare bedroom with a wall bed, office benches and deep purple and bright green and yellow walls and each time I think about repainting, it's a bit like throwing out old memories.  I've just had an email from Frida with a "belly update" and I'm a bit nostalgic.

So, I thought today I would try to find some photos of our lovely Frida and post them here.

What's that got to do with decisions???  Not much really other than in the early hours of this morning when I couldn't sleep I made a couple of decisions.  First, given that I've now converted all my Turkey 2010 images from raw to dng, it has made it awkward to link them quickly in Lightroom.  Added to that is the fact that some of my Turkey images seem to be missing from the Lightroom catalogue.  So this weekend I am going to build a brand new Turkey catalogue in Lightroom using only the dng images.

I will write more in the next few days outlining an overview of my workflow and why I've started to convert all my raw images to dng.  It'll probably be the most interest to those of you who suffer from poor sleep habits - a couple of minutes reading it will certainly do more than all the valerian tea in the world!!


But, back to my original thought, the development of a new Turkey catalogue.

It will serve 2 purposes.
1.  It will mean I get to have another very good look at all the images, free from my original edits and I will start a new keyboarding to identify those that I will be considering for my book.
2.  Although it is a bit of time, it will be faster than trying to connect each dng image to the Lightroom file.
3.  I will still have a copy of all the images I have previously edited to use if I prefer them.

Why am I telling you this??? A few reasons but mostly it's about security for your digital files.

  • When I travel I always make sure I have 3 copies of images for as long as possible.  I travel with a tiny notebook with Lightroom 3 installed and I have 2x500g plug and play external hard drives.  
  • I shoot methodically thru the whole collection of CF cards (all numbered) At the end of each day's shooting I download (and keyword in Lightroom) all images to 1 x ext drive and copy as a back up to the 2nd.  This might take a couple of hours but it's pretty much set and go so I can leave it while I have dinner or overnight.
  • I own about 8-9 CF cards ranging in size from 2G-16G (the 1G have gone and the 2G are about to go as well, leaving me with 4, 8 and 16 only).  I try to start shooting on the 1st card and work my way thru.  In some cases, I am home again before I have used all cards, therefore giving me 3 copies as security.  At worst, I reuse them and I have 2 copies to bring home.  One copy is always in my backpack along with my wallet.
  • Back home I then transfer the files to my home computer and move the backup set to a separate external hard drive.  I don't delete any of the files from the small drives I took on the trip until I absolutely need to and that means I can always use them in an emergency.

More of my decisions or indecisions later, but for now, some photos of my lovely Frida taken in Umbria in October 2010 when we spent a week with our extended Swedish family in a cottage in the hills outside the tiny but beautiful village of Montecchio.  One of the loveliest holidays we have had.






The image (above) is taken @ Lake Bolsena quite near Orvieto, Italy.  It was early Autumn and beautiful clear crisp days that encouraged us to drive, walk, eat, drink and just absorb all that Umbria in Autumn could offer.  In this image Frida is standing and Agneta, Ron and Bo (L to R) are sitting.









This image (above) of Frida and her mother Agneta is one of my favourites - in fact I intend to print and frame it.  I love the silhouettes and the rich dark colours including Agneta's red scarf, balanced against the bright light behind.  I love the wind swept hair and their elegance, although the may disagree!









This little number (above) is Frida and Ron as is the one below.  Just sitting and taking it easy in Spoleto if my memory and notes are correct.  We were intent on hunting down some ancient arena and having fun with the map while these 2 just lazed about!!







Here (next 2 below) are Frida and Micke looking very very happy and showing off their trim backsides! Both taken in another Umbrian village.












No comments:

Post a Comment