Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A weekend of photography OR a trip to a cemetery??

Had a great opportunity last weekend to attend Camerally over @ Yarramundi.  Great speakers, good company and lots to learn and talk about.

Listened to Ron Willems http://www.ronwillemsphoto.com/ and loved his images.  If you haven't had a chance to see what he does I'd recommend a visit to his site.  Great composition and images that convey wonderful ambience and emotion.

Brent Pearson http://brentbat.wordpress.com/ achieved the impossible by giving a succinct and very clear lecture on the use of flash and then topped that by managing 200+ photographers out in the hot sun with a couple of models.  We got to see him set up 2 separate lighting situations (both outdoors) and although we had to line up and have a quick turn at shooting, it worked so well.  Highly recommend him if ever you get a chance to listen to him speak or attend a workshop.

Sue Robertson was her usual brilliant self and shared some great images and talked us through her sort of creative photography.  Sue's work can be found here if you don't already know it.  http://www.pbase.com/srobertson

My photography hit for the weekend was a visit to Richmond cemetery with my friend Robyn, late Friday afternoon before Camerally got underway.  I'll include a few shots here.

Never quite sure how you photograph cemeteries.  This cemetery is quite beautiful and very old - St Peters Anglican Church is opposite.



This one (above) was a bit of camera movement trying to capture some of the age and style of the iron fences that surround some of the graves.




This image was taken quite late as the heavy storm was approaching.  We had a few goes to try to catch the lightening but thought we should get out before it caught us.  If you know my work you know that I  love the odd weed and grasses that decorate the edges.






This darker image was taken late in the day and I tried to capture the very ordinary yet very beautiful scene in the corner of one of the larger graves.  The artificial flowers on some form of pebblecrete (I think??)






A couple of gravesides had these quite beautiful shaped headstones with a sort of urn shape on top.  In this particular image I noticed the snippets of iron fences from neighbouring graves peeking over the top.




Just a simple view between two headstones.



These flowers were bright yellow and wonderful to photograph.  I like the mono one here as it allowed me to show the strands of vine? and a hint of the typeface on the headstone.

I think this post was probably more about the cemetery than Camerally???

1 comment:

  1. Hi, popped in for a visit. Great Blog. I kept looking at that photo of the orange flowers on the grey background, when you put it into Len's critiques. I kept thinking that they looked like fake flowers and it kept bugging me. I was too scared to ask, in case they were real! Now that I know that it is a cemetary, I feel like this mystery has been solved. I really like the photo of the grass between the headstones. I think cemetaries are very difficult to photograph, I have tried a few times and failed miserably. I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete