Sunday, March 6, 2011

Productive Weekend 2

Also fitted in a 21st and although I was dressed a bit like Terri Erwin(??) I was the photographer.  If nothing else, my confidence in pulling out my camera to shoot "record shots" at gatherings of family and friends, is increasing.  I attached the flash - and that brings it's use up to the grand total of 3 times in 12 months, all being in the last 6 weeks!!  I actually eventually got sick of the flash - it's cumbersome and it limits you in many ways so after I'd done my 1st round of guests I ditched it in preference to adjusting my ISO.

At this gathering, as well as Ross' exhibition, the lighting was a challenge - not the ambient light but the spots, fluorescents, reflections of lights in glass!!!  Urgghhh!!!  It drove me crazy BUT the good thing is I began to try to compose with the lights and in a few shots I used the lights as part of the composition and in others I worked around it ... and in different "others" I stuffed it up!!

At some point in the night after I had done the birthday cake and speeches I found my "sweet spot" and drifted off into this other world.  Anyone reading this who knows my passion for blur and ordinary things will recognise this moment.  The small decorations hanging around looked brilliant with the muted colours in the background if I opened the lens right up.  I had fun!!

Have attached a couple of images.  This is a photographic blog after all.

This one is NOT the birthday boy!  It's my son Jesse and I happen to like the shot.



Now, this is the birthday boy, Tom.  Tom has just graduated from a film and TV degree and has started work in the industry, thus the decorations that appear in the 3rd image.




2 comments:

  1. I totally get the ditch the flash and work with available light... It is so intrusive the flash. Cumbersome. Tiring. And the photos soon have a look of similarity. Available light is so beautiful to work with... Prioduces the most stunning natural images...

    Love your work Shirley...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even use the flash properly yet, it scares me, as I can't imagine or predict the results in my head. I really need to work on it soon though. Go available light! However, in the current book I am reading the frase 'available light' is really bagged, because your flash light is also 'available' so to speak!

    ReplyDelete