Thursday, March 31, 2011

The best start to my day...

I've just returned from a few hours with some of my photographer buddies walking around Wentworth Falls near the start/end of Darwin's walk.

Early morning mist over the valley, through the trees, birds buzzing overhead and hardly a soul in sight as we wandered around with cameras and tripods.  The light drizzle and the clouds overhead made for perfect conditions.

I've always been a bit negative about carrying a tripod on a bushwalk but if you really want lovely photos, particularly when the light is not so bright, you need one.   So today I was good.  I took my tripod and more than that ... I actually used it.  I've just been through the images as they downloaded and everywhere I came across a new photographic opportunity, it's easy to see that the first couple of shots were hand held and frankly, I've had to ditch the lot.  It's only when I've then put the backpack down, unfolded the tripod, found the best angle ...... that my images are any good.  One would think that after all this time I might learn?? but it's always the same - a few hand held grab shots before I am convinced that the tripod is there for a reason!!

If you haven't been out in the bush recently, it's really worth making the effort.  There is good water in the waterfalls in mountains at the moment, the cool of autumn has arrived (away from the middle of the day) and the colours in the streets as you drive around reminds you that it's the best time of year to be out and about.

A few of my images from today.  As I am shooting this week I've been trying to do the set task from Lens School, so there are very few of my blurry numbers - in fact I don't think I had any.  Our challenge has been to develop our own set of rules that we live by in photography and work our way through breaking each one to see if it does anything for our vision and technique.  So, for me, I was working on macro, BUT on a tripod AND in focus.  I also had a few chances to play with my new ND 0.8 at the waterfalls and I just couldn't resist a bit of abstract beauty among the grasses.


Enjoy!








This fern frond (above) was just emerging.  It was glorious, and hidden away with drops from the last rain still present.  I am a bit torn between wanting the full frond in focus and wanting a more muted background.  However, I love it's beauty!









Another angle of the same frond.  This time, with F2.8.







Lots of mushrooms  but when you get down in the grass to see what you can do, it's magic to just capture them as they would be seen by the insects at ground level.  I never tire of the beauty shot from ground level.  So, here (above) is the mushroom glimpsed through the grasses.  The colours seen at this angle are like the old story books.


















Was fascinated at what these little people looked like when seen thru a lens.  Really love the out of focus bits as well as the action from the creatures on the LHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment