Friday, March 4, 2011

My new love affair with filters


Until quite recently I'd never really used filters in my photography. I'd had UV filters and a couple of circular polarisers and realised that I was quite skilled at cross threading (as opposed to cross dressing!) I'd managed in a very short time to cross thread an expensive UV, a costly circular polariser and that was just the start. I'd also managed to drop my new 5D on it's head and jam the UV on the lens! The latter was saved eventually by Len Metcalf's skill with some sort of new toy.

My wonderful trip to Turkey in 2010 with Peter Eastway and other photographers convinced me that I really wanted to get my head around filters and their possibilities.

I picked up a couple on the way home. A 10 stop ND which is marvellous in sunlight and a 0.8ND.

Today my order from d-dphotographics arrived with a bundle of new NDs and a couple of other toys. Great price, fantastic free delivery within 24hrs!.

Not that I ever need an excuse to use my camera, but I'm ready to head out and experiment over the next couple of days so that I am confident about lens choice and filters for Lens School road trip next wednesday to Wenty Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment