Saturday, March 5, 2011

Spoilt for choice OR I can't do everything?

Saturday morning - cool and dull outside so looks optimistic for photography.  Have just collected my partner form hospital so it seems as if I can't head into Mardi Gras preparation this afternoon.  Have had some fantastic photo ops at that time of the parade in previous years.  Thanks to my friend and photographer Greg Dickens,  http://www.photosydney.com.au/  for showing me the best time to capture Mardi Gras.  In case you are in doubt - head over with your camera to Hyde Park area and surrounds any time after 2.00pm and just go with the flow.  I usually head home just before the parade gets underway.  If you miss this year, mark it in your diary for 2012.

Ross Roorda has the opening of his exhibition "Felons and Fighters - The Lawson Project" this afternoon at Ben Roberts Cafe and Gallery in Lawson.  I will attach a copy with details.  Ross is an amazing portrait artist and this exhibition concentrates on his fascination with the "gaze"and his subjects are locals from Lawson.  The exhibition is open until 24th March and works are not for sale.

Ross studied @ COFA and eventually went into teaching and over the years his path led him to be principal at a behaviour school.  Not only is he an artist of note, he is also an amazing teacher and mentor to troubled youth in Western Sydney.  If you get a chance, it is worth your while to call by the gallery and check out Ross' work.

So, for me today, I can't do both so will head up the mountains in the early afternoon to join Ross at his opening - I am going to take my camera and my challenge will be to use it at the opening and to get over the fact that I will feel like a dork pulling it out!  However, what I have learnt is that once it is out and I have it up to my eye, no one cares but someone will treasure the images that I make.

Happy shooting!


No comments:

Post a Comment