Friday, March 11, 2011

Wenty Falls Field Trip

Had a great day on Wednesday with other photographers and Len Metcalf from Lens School.  http://lensschool.com.au/

The day was spent wandering along the Charles Darwin Walk, cameras in hand, tripods at the ready and an overcast sky for the the first half of the walk which made the light so easy.

Every time I get a chance to shoot with other photographers I learn so much.  Just watching the way others work, hold, look, see, talk makes me think.

On this walk I had my 5Dmark11, a Sigma 105macro (often my favourite lens) my 17-40L, a tripod AND for the very first time I took some ND filters!!  And what opportunities I had to play with them.
Not having a great history with filters (see earlier post about my penchant for cross threads) I put them in their new carry bag and each time I took one out I tried to show a little respect!  It worked!!  So, BINGO! my horror stories are a thing of the past (fingers crossed.)

The walk is quite leisurely and there are a number of entry points if you wanted to shorten it.  The walk out at the end was more strenuous but beautiful views over the valley.  

I'll attach here a couple of images I took on the day.  Quite a few opportunities to practise moving water, some lovely white gums, beautiful ferns, beautiful grasses and native plants.


This photo (above) was taken around the middle of the day using a tripod, 17-40L, ISO 100, F22, 30s + ND400.


I love abstract images and images that are dark/moody and mono as well.  Not always confident with my skills in mono and therefore am trying to learn more about the medium.  Hopefully when I get better skills in P/S I can play a bit more with some of the tones??  Not sure.

This image was a blurred image achieved with camera movement, I was shooting with my sigma 105mm macro @ ISO 250, f2.8 1/400sec.

I was trying to compose with some of the light spots you can see in the image and I was attracted to the mesh type effect I could see thru the ferns/grasses.


This image (above) was another one using camera movement.  I love dreaming abstract images of trees and I keep practising in the hope that one day I can make a hero image of my own!  This was again with the sigma 105 macro, f45, ISO 100 and 0.8secs.


Another shot where I was trying to get an abstract impression that also showed some of the ferns surrounding the tree.  It took a few shots before I could get something that began to look like I imagined. What do you think??  Settings: 17-40L lens @ 40mm, ISO100, f5.6, 2.5secs.  Camera movement and converted to Creamtone in Lightroom 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment